About Children's Dental
Granite Belt Dental is a very child-friendly practice and we love seeing kids.
A lifetime of healthy teeth and good oral hygiene begins in early childhood.
Our experienced and very gentle dental team take particular care when seeing our young patients to ensure they feel comfortable and we will go out of way to create a positive experience at each child’s visit. Maintaining your child’s teeth at all stages of life is important, even during the ‘baby-teeth’ stage, as dental disease in childhood can have an impact on your child’s general health as well as their teeth in adulthood. Creating a regular routine of dental visits and good oral care at home is central to our focus of preventing dental disease from a young age. By seeing children regularly from a young age we greatly increase the chances of your child a healthy smile for life.
To assist parents in understanding more about preventing dental disease in childhood, we have created additional resources on our website for your information.
These also include a guide for preparing your child for their first dental visit and hints and tips for giving your child a smile that will last a lifetime.
We’re human& we’re here to help
Fill out this contact form and we’ll be in touch
Everything You Need To Know About Taking Your Little One To The Children’s Dentist
A lifetime of healthy teeth and good oral hygiene begins in early childhood. Our experienced and very gentle dental team takes particular care when seeing our young patients to ensure they feel comfortable. We go out of our way to create a positive experience at each child’s visit. Maintaining your child’s teeth at all stages of life is important, even during the baby teeth stage, as dental disease in childhood can impact your child’s general health and teeth in adulthood. Creating a regular routine of dental visits and good oral care at home is central to our focus on preventing dental disease from a young age. By seeing children regularly from a young age, we greatly increase the chances of your child having a healthy smile for life. To assist parents in understanding more about preventing dental disease in childhood, we have created additional resources on our website. These include a guide for preparing your child for their first dental visit, as well as tips and tricks for giving your child a smile that will last a lifetime.
How To Prepare Your Kid For A Dental Appointment
Whether it’s your baby’s first trip to the dentist or you’re trying to get your teenager ready for their annual check-up, there are a few things you can do to prepare your child for their appointment.
- Create a positive, exciting experience. The team at Granite Belt Dental will go above and beyond to make sure your child’s visit to the dentist is positive, but we encourage parents and guardians to try and do the same before and after, especially for younger kids. For example, before their appointment, let them have their favourite snack (don’t worry, we’ll clean their teeth!) and afterwards you could do their favourite activity. These little things associate visits to the dentist with happiness, building life-long positive associations.
- Let your child know where they’re going and why. Try to explain to your child who the dentist is, what they do, and why it’s essential to go. Make sure you emphasise that they have nothing to worry about and that we’re here to make sure their teeth stay healthy and strong. If you need help explaining anything at all, check out the range of handy resources we have in our Kid’s Corner.
- Set a good example. If you feel fear and anxiety about dental visits, your children will feel the same. Likewise, if you never go to the dentist, but you expect your kids to go, you’re not setting a great example. The team at Granite Belt Dental can help you book back-to-back appointments for you and your child, so they can watch you getting a clean and checkup first.
- Give us a call. If your child is very anxious or stressed, let us know in advance so we can go the extra mile to make them feel comfortable and safe. It’s important to us that kids build positive associations with the dentist, so we’ll do our best to address their fears and answer their questions.
What Do The Granite Belt Dental Team Do To Make Your Child Feel Comfortable?
Typically, dental anxiety begins in childhood when kids have negative experiences during a dental appointment. Unfortunately, it can take just one bad visit to create a lifetime’s worth of negative associations. At Granite Belt Dental, we do everything we can to make your child’s appointment as pleasant and positive as possible. If they already struggle with dental anxiety, we acknowledge it and aim to build trust to overcome their fears.
- Rewarding positive behaviour. Having strangers stick their hands in their mouths can be scary for kids, so we make sure they know we’re friendly and just trying to help. We reward positive behaviour with praise and positive reinforcement. For example, if your child is brushing and flossing correctly or sitting still in the chair, we’ll reward them for it. Additionally, if your kid isn’t quite on the right track, we’ll redirect them gently by showing them the correct way to take care of their teeth, giving them plenty of praise for the effort.
- Dentists will often direct communication about what they see and do to the parent or caregiver. However, the guardian is not our patient. Children have every right to understand what’s happening to their teeth, so we make sure to gently and calmly explain each step of the process.
- Education on dental hygiene. The team at Kuraby Dentists are passionate about giving kids the tools they need to take care of their own dental hygiene. We’ll teach them how to brush and floss properly, which foods are good for their teeth, and provide plenty of activities to help them better understand the importance of children’s dental hygiene. Check out our kid’s corner for more information or resources!
Frequently Asked Questions About Children’s Dental
As experts in children’s dental, the Granite Belt Dental team hear a lot of questions about our services, so we’ve tried to answer a few of the most common questions right here.
- Can kids get free dental?
- Every kid deserves quality dental care, which is why Granite Belt Dental offers the Child Dental Benefits Schedule (CDBS). The program provides up to $1000 worth of free dental services to eligible children between the ages of 2-17.
- How do I know if my child is eligible for CDBS?
- Either fill in the form on our website 0r give our team a call and read out your Medicare number. We’ll be able to look it up and let you know whether your child qualifies for the schedule.
- Which services are covered by CDBS?
- Checkups, x-rays, teeth cleaning, fissure cleaning and sealing, root canals, and tooth extractions are all covered under the CDBS.
- When should I make my child’s first dental appointment?
- The moment your baby’s teeth start coming through is when we’ll need to see them. If you start your kids’ dental experiences early, you’ll set them up with a lifetime of smiles and positive associations with the dentist.
- How do I know if my child has cavities?
- Kids aren’t the best at expressing pain, and it can manifest as irritability, anger, or sadness. In the case of babies, you might realise they’re in pain but have no clue where the pain is located. Regular dental checkups with a children’s dentist will help ensure your kids’ teeth stay healthy and cavity-free. We focus on prevention to minimise the risk of cavities occurring, so you hopefully won’t need to recognise the warning signs.
- Do baby teeth need fillings even if they’ll fall out eventually?
- If a baby tooth gets a cavity, it will need a filling. Cavities and decay spread and can severely inhibit or damage the development of adult teeth, so early detection is everything. Make sure you organise regular checkups for your child.
- How can I help my kids prevent cavities?
- Make sure they brush their teeth at least twice a day with age-appropriate toothbrushes and toothpaste, avoid letting your kids overconsume sugary and acidic foods and drinks, and organise regular checkups with a children’s dentist to monitor their development. You can also use the resources in our Kids Corner to teach your kids about good dental hygiene.
Book An Appointment With One Of Granite Belt Dental’s Friendly Children’s Dentists
At Granite Belt Dental, we’re proud to do things a little differently. We understand that dental visits can be a little overwhelming, so our team of qualified professionals do everything possible to create a calm, relaxing environment. Our state-of-the-art facility caters to all your dental needs, from routine check-ups to emergency dental situations. The team at Granite Belt Dental are passionate about providing comprehensive dental services to everyone who walks through our doors, and we’ll do our best to make sure your time in the chair is comfortable. If you’re looking for a children’s dentist, contact Granite Belt Dental today.