Many dental injuries that occur on the sporting field are preventable simply by wearing a professionally made and fitted mouthguard. The protection afforded by a professional mouthguard is far superior to the “boil and bite” mouthguards because of the bilaminar materials and custom fit to the teeth and the supporting tissues achieved by professional mouthguards. Protecting your teeth doesn’t mean it can’t be fun! Our mouthguards come in a huge variety of styles and club colours to ensure that you can look the part… and are smiling at the end of the every game, so matter what the result.
We’re human& we’re here to help
Fill out this contact form and we’ll be in touch
The Ins And Outs Of Mouthguards
Many dental injuries that occur on the sporting field are preventable simply by wearing professionally made and fitted mouthguards. The protection afforded by a professional mouthguard is far superior to the ‘boil and bite’ mouthguards due to their bilaminar materials, supporting tissues, and custom fit to the teeth. Protecting your teeth can be fun too; you can unleash your creativity with our wide variety of styles and club colours, so you always look the part. The Granite Belt Dental team is here to make sure you’re smiling at the end of every game, no matter the result.
Signs You Might Need A Mouthguard
The sports mouthguards we create at Granite Belt Dental are ideal for people of all ages playing or competing in contact sports. If you play any of the following sports, we’d suggest making an appointment with one of our dentists to discuss dental mouthguards.
- Rugby league
- Rugby union
- Aussie Rules
- Martial arts
- Hockey (ice and field)
Well-made dental mouthguards reduce the chances of mouth or tooth-related injuries in contact sports, including;
- Broken, moved, or knocked out teeth
- Upper and lower jaw fractures
- Damage to the jaw joint
How We Create Your Mouthguard
Custom sports mouthguards are highly recommended for anyone playing a contact sport, a sport with high rates of jaw or tooth injuries, and those with previous jaw injuries. The Granite Belt Dental team create these mouthguards to fit a patient perfectly.
- Step 1: Moulds. We take a mould of your teeth, also known as impressions, and send these away where a mouthguard is made based on the impression.
- Step 2: Manufacture. A professional dental laboratory will craft a mouthguard by layering two or more layers of protective material over the models of your teeth. They then implement a lamination process, which provides a stronger, better-fitting mouth guard for maximum protection. The thickness of the mouthguard will be determined based on the age and size of the patient as well as their chosen sport.
- Step 3: Fitting. When your mouthguard arrives at the Granite Belt Dental Clinic, we organise an appointment for you to get it fitted. Your dentist will file down any rough edges and make the necessary adjustments ensuring your mouthguard is the perfect shape and size for you.
How To Look After Your Mouthguard
Your mouthguard needs to be cleaned and sanitised after every wear to keep it free of bacteria and other nasties.
- Rinse and wash with every wear. Every single time you wear your mouthguard, you need to rinse it and clean it with a toothbrush and toothpaste.
- Soak it once a week. Take the time to soak your mouthguard in antimicrobial solution, diluted mouthwash, or denture cleaner at least once a week to prevent any bacteria from growing.
- Store it safely. You’ll need to keep your mouthguard in a clean, dry, well-ventilated case. Make sure you rinse and clean the case now and again, as bacteria can find their way inside.
- Check your mouthguard for any cracks or rough edges. The last thing you want is for your mouthguard to irritate your gums, so check it thoroughly before wearing it. Unfortunately, cracks are also the ideal place for bacteria to live, so a mouthguard with any cracks is dangerous for your health.
If You’re Looking For Mouthguards, Head To Granite Belt Dental
At Granite Belt Dental, we’re proud to do things a little differently. We understand that dental visits can be a little overwhelming, so our team of qualified professionals do everything possible to create a calm, relaxing environment. Our state-of-the-art facility caters to all your dental needs, from routine check-ups to emergency dental situations. The team at Granite Belt Dental are passionate about providing comprehensive dental services to everyone who walks through our doors, and we’ll do our best to make sure your time in the chair is comfortable. If you’re looking for mouthguards, contact Granite Belt Dental today.